(SurvivalDaily.com) – Thanksgiving day is close at hand, turkey is thawing out nicely in the refrigerator and you can’t decide — oven roasted or deep fried? Many will go for the traditional oven-roasted turkey. Nothing beats the aroma coming out of the kitchen. But there are people who swear a deep-fried turkey is better — moister, quicker and oh, that skin!
Deep-fried turkeys can also be a major fire hazard if you’re not careful. NBC 26 discusses some of the dangers of frying a turkey:
To help ensure a safe holiday, we have compiled a few more safety measures:
- It’s always important to read your deep fryer’s directions and follow them exactly.
- Never overfill your deep fryer.
- Avoid accidentally burning yourself by wearing long, snug sleeves and flame-retardant grill mitts.
- Only deep fry outside with constant supervision.
- Beware of splashing oil and keep children and pets within a safe distance.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of a fire.
Splashing oil can cause third-degree burns or worse, house fires. Do your part to prevent both and ensure your family has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
Copyright 2020, SurvivalDaily.com